Associate Medical Examiner, District 4
Salary: $207,856.28 - $217,856.28 Annually
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Job Type: Appointed Official
Department: Medical Examiner
Job Number: 2020-03753
Job Description: This position reports to the District Chief Medical Examiner and provides medico-legal interpretations, performs autopsies, testifies in court and generates death certificates.
Examples of Work:
• Performs autopsies and physical examinations to determine the cause and manner of death. Interprets histological, toxicological, chemical, hematological and microbiological laboratory results.
• Maintains Medical Examiner records and follows policies/procedures for the documentation of the chain of custody of decedent personal effects, evidence and human remains.
• Performs and formulates on-call and death scene investigation/triage decisions.
• Testifies in deposition and in court as an expert witness, effectively presenting and communicating findings in a logical manner.
• Appropriately responds to and addresses questions posed by judges, attorneys, family members, and members of the media or public.
• Generates death certificates.
• Reviews, approves, and records cremation requests.
• Performs other duties as required.
Open Requirements/Supplemental Information
• Graduation from an approved school of medicine.
• Completion of an accredited anatomic or anatomic/clinical pathology residency and the completion of an accredited forensic fellowship program is required.
• Board certification in anatomic or anatomic/clinical pathology and board eligibility in forensic pathology is required.
• Forensic board certification must be completed within two years of appointment.
• Possession of a current license to practice in the State of Florida is required.