Forensic Investigator, District 7 ME Office (Daytona Beach, FL) $19.17/Hour
OPENING DATE: 06/19/2019 CLOSING DATE: 08/05/2019
The James W. Fulcher, M.D.,P.A./District 7 Medical Examiner Office, in Daytona Beach, is seeking applicants for two (2) Forensic Investigators. They will be responsible for technical work gathering detailed information relative to circumstances surrounding deaths.
- Maintains continuous contact with the County Communications Center to receive notification of a death that has the potential to be considered a medical examiner's case.
- Determines if the medical examiner has jurisdiction in the case.
- Gathers information at death scenes relative to death. Notifies and authorizes the use of body livery service in accordance with office policy.
- Writes narratives and obtains documents, agency reports, records and other pertinent information to assist the Medical Examiner in certifying the cause and manner of death.
- Communicates, as needed, with the decedent's physician and/or surviving family members and/or others.
- Is considered "Mission Essential" - required to be at work or in "on-call" status regardless of emergency situations and general dismissal authorizations, required to carry an employer-issued cell phone and/or pager while on and off shift for contact and communication to ensure critical operations continue in the event of a catastrophe or unavailability of the otherwise assigned individual.
- May be required to be available to assist on-call investigator.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Forensic Science, Biology, Criminal Justice, or related field; AND one (1) year of experience in medicolegal death investigation with a medical examiner/coroner office or law enforcement agency. Certification by the American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators (ABMDI) or obtain certification within 24 months of hire.
Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license or obtain one by date of hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of state and local regulatory requirements applicable to vital statistics recordation, public records laws and rules of evidence.
- Considerable knowledge of established policies for deciding jurisdiction of cases, as well as investigative procedures for determining causes and manner of death.
- Skilled in the use and operation of camera and other photographic equipment.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Able to work with a degree of independence.
- Able to execute and follow oral and written directions.
- Able to prepare a clear and comprehensive report.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, law enforcement officers, medical professionals and the general public.
- Able to handle sensitive and confidential information in a professional manner and maintain confidentiality.
- Able to deal objectively with the emotional stress generated by dealing with death daily and working long hours occasionally under adverse conditions.
- Able to maintain a sense of caring for the survivor's emotional well-being.
- Able to lift cadavers if necessary.
- Able to work on-call 24/7, weekends and nights.
Physical Demands: Ability to lift 100 lbs. and pull/push 250 lbs.; feel, hear, visual acuity (color, acuity to determine state of contusions and/or lividity) as well as depth perception and peripheral vision necessary to operate a motorized vehicle, carry, walk, stoop, kneel, bend, handle, finger dexterity, talk.
Environmental Demands: Inside and outside work. Ability to tolerate exposure to inclement weather (rain, cold, heat, humidity); odors, chemicals, dust, poor ventilation, fumes. Exposure to human remains and body fluids.
Mental Demands: Ability to read and comprehend scientific, medical and technical reports, abstracts and documents; memos, evaluations, safety rules, letters. Ability to effectively communicate information to others. Ability to perform general mathematical functions. Ability to write complex sentences relaying information, data and details.
The District 7 Medical Examiner Office offers seven (7) paid holidays, two (2) floating holidays, short and long term disability insurance, 401k retirement benefits, group health plans for medical, dental and vision coverage, life/accidental/dismemberment benefits. The District 7 Medical Examiner Office is a drug-free workplace.
Please forward your resume and cover letter to:
District 7 Medical Examiner’s Office
1360 Indian Lake Road
Daytona Beach, FL 32124