Orange County Government in Orlando, Florida is seeking a highly qualified individual to fill the position of Associate Medical Examiner in our District Nine/Twenty-Five Medical Examiner's Office. Check out the Medical examiner office.
Salary range is $132,350 - $218,462 annually (Starting salary depends on certifications and experience.)
Benefits include state pension plan, health, dental, and life insurance, eighteen paid holidays per year, personal leave accrual, as well as, allowances for training, travel, dues, and licenses.
Opening Date: February 20, 2018
Closing Date: Until Filled (May close without prior notice)
* Graduation from an approved school of medicine and possession of a current license to practice medicine in the State of Florida as required by the Florida Department of Professional Regulations at the time of appointment, and must maintain such licensure and certification as a condition of employment.
* Completion of fellowship training in Forensic Pathology.
* Must be board certified in anatomic or anatomic/clinical pathology or board eligible, with certification obtained within two years of employment, by the American Board of Pathology.
* Must be board certified in forensic pathology or board eligible, with certification obtained within three years of employment, by the American Board of Pathology.
* Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license.
* The selected candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment physical, drug screening, criminal history and background check prior to start of employment.
* Performs autopsies to determine the cause and manner of death. Reviews items related to autopsies such as hospital charts, medical examiner investigator reports, law enforcement agency reports and postmortem results.
* Responsible for adhering to the rules and regulations that govern medical examiners in the State of Florida (Florida Statute, Chapter 406, and Administrative Code, 11-G).
* Dictates and corrects written report of findings in a timely fashion.
* Serves as an expert witness in depositions, grand jury sessions, trials and conferences with attorneys.
* Participates in conferences with family members, law enforcement, attorneys, and other individuals to provide information on investigations and autopsies.
* Will serve on a 24 hour call, rotational schedule, for consultation to the investigative department.
* Per form other duties of a comparable level as assigned.
Preference will be given to those individuals who are board certified in Anatomic or Anatomic/Clinical Pathology and Forensic Pathology.
In 2017, the office conducted 1,411 autopsies and 6-3 inspections and/or investigations of deaths. The office is in the Ninth District office in the Florida state medical examiner system. Its jurisdiction covers both Orange and Osceola Counties, Florida, encompassing about 2,229 square miles. The office is accredited by the National Association of Medical Examiners. The current building for the office opened in October of 2009, introducing Florida’s first, and the country’s second gold level Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) New Construction certified green morgue. The total facility is just under 35,000 square feet, 5,000 of them encompassing the morgue, which houses ten full autopsy stations. Along with an administration building on the premises there is an additional morgue designed for special autopsy situations, such as decomposition or infectious disease considerations. The office is run by the Chief Medical Examiner, Dr. Joshua Stephany. Additional personnel include five associate medical examiners (including this vacant position), eleven investigators, six forensic technicians and eleven administrative personnel. All of the medical examiners are board certified in anatomic pathology and forensic pathology. The office uses several consultants, including a forensic anthropologist, odontologist, entomologist, and a neuropathologist. The office also contracts with a certified laboratory for its forensic toxicology testing and histology work, and the office uses a contracted body transport company to assist with the transportation of the decedents to the medical examiner’s office.
How to Apply:
Posting Link: http://interdnndev/employmentvolunteerism.aspx