Forensic Investigator, District 7 ME Office
Forensic Investigator, District 7 ME Office (Daytona Beach, FL) $19.17/Hour
OPENING DATE: 06/19/2019 CLOSING DATE: 08/05/2019
The James W. Fulcher, M.D.,P.A./District 7 Medical Examiner Office, in Daytona Beach, is seeking applicants for two (2) Forensic Investigators. They will be responsible for technical work gathering detailed information relative to circumstances surrounding deaths.
- Maintains continuous contact with the County Communications Center to receive notification of a death that has the potential to be considered a medical examiner's case.
- Determines if the medical examiner has jurisdiction in the case.
- Gathers information at death scenes relative to death. Notifies and authorizes the use of body livery service in accordance with office policy.
- Writes narratives and obtains documents, agency reports, records and other pertinent information to assist the Medical Examiner in certifying the cause and manner of death.
- Communicates, as needed, with the decedent's physician and/or surviving family members and/or others.
- Is considered "Mission Essential" - required to be at work or in "on-call" status regardless of emergency situations and general dismissal authorizations, required to carry an employer-issued cell phone and/or pager while on and off shift for contact and communication to ensure critical operations continue in the event of a catastrophe or unavailability of the otherwise assigned individual.
- May be required to be available to assist on-call investigator.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Forensic Science, Biology, Criminal Justice, or related field; AND one (1) year of experience in medicolegal death investigation with a medical examiner/coroner office or law enforcement agency. Certification by the American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators (ABMDI) or obtain certification within 24 months of hire.
Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license or obtain one by date of hire.